Of Family Days, Baby Wearing, Car Crashes and Zombie Apocalypse (in that order) ~ Part III

>> Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Episode IV: Zombie Apocalypse

 Now, anybody who knows me well enough will confirm this, I am a freak over the undead, specifically zombies. I adore zombie movies and spend my free time planning how to survive a zombie apocalypse. Like actually, I will plan my escape route, consider things to pack in my survival kit , whether to use guns or. machete, etc. I believe that, based on the number of mutated, biological, infectious diseases going on these days, it is a matter of time before human kind starts turning into walking, brain-munching, rotting corpses.



Do YOU know how to survive a zombie attack?


Woops! I'm getting sidetracked.



Anyways, on Monday, Baybe and I, together with Asyraf, went to Hospital Serdang to visit bro-in-law. MIL and bro-in-law #2 were already there. The parking situation was a complete and utter mess and it was blistering, I repeat, blistering hot. All I could think of was how wonderful it would be to be sitting down with a refreshing and tall glass of teh ais.


Thus, after visiting hours were over, I convinced Baybe to stop by Steven's Corner near where we live for some ummph. It was drizzling by the time we got there but fueled by my addiction passion for teh ais, we persevered.


As we sat down and placed or orders, the rain got heavier. I just thought to myself, we'll just stay here and wait out the rain. Within ten minutes I was having nasi lemak kambing and teh ais, while Baybe was enjoying his lamb/mutton in mint sauce (which is very good BTW, in case you've never had it). At this point, Asyraf was sleeping like an angel in my sling pouch.


Then it started to really rain, a torrential downpour complete with thunder, lightning, the whole works. KL being what it is, in ten minutes there was already a flash flood. With the level of water rising steadily and the area being quite low and near a big drain, vehicle owners were getting restless. Some people were getting up to move their cars. We wanted to leave too, especially since our car was parked right next to a deep drain, but were worried about Asyraf.


Warning! Do not read further if you are squeamish!


The thing that convinced me to make a desperate attempt to leave the place was when roaches started coming out in droves from one of the drains near us. Imagine watching 20-30 roaches climbing up the sidewalk 5-feet away from you. I am petrified of those little black buggers and for me, it was like watching a scene out of my worst nightmare come to life. I was squealing and stomping so much the Chinese couple a few tables away from us started to back away slowly from me.


I pushed Asraf, who was fully awake by now, into Baybe's arms and started grabbing our stuff on the table indiscriminately. All I could think of at that moment was to get as far away as possible from there. Have you ever felt so afraid of something at some point in your life, you almost feel like you might scare yourself to death? Yeah, that was what I felt then.



I waited towards the center of the shop with Asyraf while Baybe braved the rain to move the car somewhere closer. My hero. By then, more roaches were appearing, interlaced with guest appearances by cat-sized mice. All hell broke loose. Men were grabbing car keys, women were jumping about, and all I could think of was... this must be what it's like when a zombie apocalypse happen. All the fear and panic apparent in this small group of people trapped inside a mamak restaurant.



The strangest thing happened to me at that point. I grabbed my fear and smacked it on its ass, metaphorically speaking, I mean. I The fear just subsided and was replaced by an adrenalin rush. I was suddenly in full fight or flight mode. Like heck I was going to let a bunch of disease ridden pests come anywhere near me and my precious child. Wachhhaaaa!!!


I even killed a roach by stomping it to oblivion with my own foot. I am so proud of myself *GRINS*

It  just goes to show, that when it counts, a mother will sacrifice everything for her child. I mean, deep in our hearts, we mothers know how far we are willing to go for the love of our offspring. Yet, only at the height of absolute terror and fear for our very lives do we realize how true it is.

I would do anything for my children. Anything. Even if it means that I have to brave through a whole nest/pack/swarm of roaches/zombies to do it, I would. It's as simple as that.

0 comments:

Header image credit: adapted from sxc.hu by Celefinwe © Celefinwe 2009

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP