Happy International Women's Day

>> Sunday, March 8, 2009


Some things happened recently that made me realize how important it is for women to know how relevant and special they are. Due to the circle I've been hanging around in these past few weeks that consists mainly of male, I've been hearing horrific stories of how low women have become in the eyes of, at least, this group of people. Has it really come to that?

I don't consider myself a feminist. Not at all. But it shames me beyond anything to hear of how low their opinion was on the women. Specifically, and will have to be frank here for the general good and all, Malay women who wear tudung, or head scarf. It seems that it is so damn easy to nail one these days that it is merely a matter of inviting them to some isolated location and... we have lift off!

I am more than aware that guys tend to exaggerate, sometimes even make things up to appear cool in front of their friends. Through my own personal experience, I know this for a fact. I'm not posting this simply based on half truths pulled out of some guy's hairy bum. I've seen this happen. I might even know a few of these women myself.

My message is simple. Please learn to respect yourself. If you do not think that you are worthy of the kind of love that you deserve, then you need to stop and reevaluate your life. You are not a piece of meat no matter what that cute-looking-guy-with-the-cute-butt might say. Start to believe that the opinion that matters most is your own. After all, when you look into the mirror every day, the person who has to live with yourself... is you.

To all women, Happy International Women's Day! It's our day!


0 comments:

Header image credit: adapted from sxc.hu by Celefinwe © Celefinwe 2009

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP